Privacy: The Scary Truth

Privacy is now seemingly becoming a thing of the past. The internet and social media makes everything about you accessible, as I've learned. This past fall, I was a victim of someone stealing my identity. Somebody took my pictures, and created an instagram page with them. The pictures were used to promote me for an inappropriate website, one I was not associated with in real life. Since my instagram wasn't private, it made me vulnerable to end up like a situation like the one I was in. It was extremely humiliating and made me feel bad about myself, as the account had followed all the same people I followed.  I had learned a valuable lesson. If more privacy was available for me to utilize, I needed to take it. I locked down my Facebook, and turned my Instagram and Twitter private. People actually thought it was my account, and gave me an extremely bad look. Instagram wouldn't take the page down, and I felt powerless.

These TED talks actually shocked me. I had no idea about this license technology the authorities use. Obviously, I had known about surveillance and it excessive use, but I had no idea the extent I guess. The example of the man who gathered the data from his local police department was astounding to me. Even his car parked in the driveway, with him and his daughter outside of it, was documented. I think Catherine Crump said it best. Let the government use these resources for a good reason, like catching criminals. Let's not let the government invade innocent civilians privacy. Up until now, I had never thought twice about the government watching me while DRIVING. It's amazing how little things like just driving to the grocery store is documented and invading my personal right to privacy.

Phones have become a gateway to all kinds of privacy issues. In Christopher Soghoian's TED talk, he talks about how phone companies have been allowing the government to tap into our phones for decades. I don't know about you, but when I am on a phone call or sending a text I'm not thinking "Oh, the government is listening to what I am saying right now." Everyone has a digital footprint by now in 2023. The government can see everything you do online, and there really is no form of privacy in today's day and age. 
Governments can demand access to private data from technology companies, such as user data or metadata, under the guise of national security or criminal investigations. Companies may be required to hand over data or provide backdoor access to their systems, potentially compromising the privacy and security of their users. Juan Enriquez had a fantastic point. Your online presence is like a tattoo, it stays forever no matter what you may think.  However, I think we as users of technology don't take the appropriate steps to protect our data and privacy. When we download a new app, 99% of the time there are pages of terms and conditions you have to agree to. Let's be honest, who actually reads those? We don't think twice, click accept, and go on to using the app without thinking about the contract we just agreed to. These apps collect your data, sell it to other parties, and use it to their advantage. We all think it's sooo crazy when our ads seem to be personalized to our liking, but our data is continuously being tracked and used. Privacy is seemingly nowhere anymore.


These practices have sparked debates around the world about the balance between privacy and security and the appropriate limits of government surveillance. It is essential for governments to consider the potential impact of these actions on the rights and freedoms of citizens, and to ensure that any measures taken to address security concerns are proportionate and in compliance with legal and ethical standards.
Privacy is a fundamental human right that is enshrined in many international human rights documents. Technological privacy is an extension of this right, as individuals should have the right to use technology without being subjected to unreasonable surveillance or monitoring.

Our technological devices, online accounts, and digital communications contain a wealth of personal information, such as our location, financial data, health information, and personal messages. The government has a duty to protect this information from unauthorized access, as it can be used for nefarious purposes such as identity theft, cyberbullying, or financial fraud. Citizens are more likely to trust the government if they believe that their privacy is being respected, and that their personal information is being used for legitimate purposes only. Protecting technological privacy can help ensure that due process is being followed. Government agencies that are authorized to conduct surveillance or collect data should do so in a transparent and accountable manner, with appropriate oversight and judicial review. Overall, protecting civilians privacy is essential for preserving fundamental rights, promoting trust, and ensuring due process. The government has a responsibility to balance security concerns with privacy rights and to e
nsure that any surveillance or data collection activities are lawful, transparent, and proportionate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EOTO #2 - Spiral of Silence Theory

Living in the Age of AI

Final Blog Post